Hi there, I’m Jonas Arnklint. I’m a Swedish full stack developer and founder.
This is where I document my work. I hope this can inspire and help you and others to do better.
I write about business and programming. The central question I’m trying to answer through my work is “How can we build better products and businesses?”.
To do that I sometimes publish insights from my own and others' experiences.
No matter where my ventures lead me - this will always be where I document the journey.Technology, Product Development, Leadership
- I’m a web software developer
- Data-driven, analytics guy
Begreet - personal videos to create better customer relationships
I'm currently building Begreet - with the main goal to create better customer relationships through personal video messages and video surveys. Begreet creates the opposite customer experience to talking to chat bots or receiving automated e-mails.
My last "big venture" was as the CTO/CEO and Co-Founder of Beatly which I joined in October 2015. Beatly creates awareness of products through influencers in social media.
Some of the most successful marketing campaigns have been done through Influencer Marketing, which is the core of Beatly. Beatly connects brands with influencers in social channels and measures the outcome.
My biggest responsibilities in the role of CTO were product development, expanding and evolving the tech team and making sure the product is aligned with what the customers really need. The product mission was to solve four big problems in Influencer Marketing. Finding the best influencers, reaching out to them and handling collaboration agreements and payments.
The product has come a long way since mainly because of how we structured the feedback loops around it. It keeps track of around 70.000 influencers all over the world has enabled thousands of collaborations in over 13 countries.
Beatly's model is to act as an independent network - meaning we never hire someone exclusively on long contracts. Our platform makes sure that the advertiser always gets to collaborate with the most relevant influencers with the biggest overlap in the target audience.
I originally joined as the technical co-founder but was asked to take on the CEO role about half a year into it. This was a big shift for me as it expanded the scope of responsibilities and quickly required me to think horizontal of all areas of the organization. A big yet inspiring challenge.
Since then we continued to grow quickly in all areas. Team-wise we are around 20 persons as of writing this, revenues around 30MSEK. I'm really proud of all the achievements the team has made during the years.
Before Beatly, I founded three businesses:
- RevRise, increased companies' conversion rates through tools and advice. Foremost Form Analytics, which detected user experience issues in the only real interactive place on websites - their web forms.
- Push Forward - built web apps in the constellation of a small consultancy.
- Fyrklöver Webbyrå - my first endeavor business-wise, where I built and sold a Content Management System. A SaaS business before SaaS was a thing 🙂
Creating RevRise and RevRise Form Analytics
RevRise removed all friction for users when interacting with websites. It tracked user errors in the most important parts of websites (and potentially any digital user interface), which is the forms. Checkouts, order forms, and signup forms play a huge part of the user experience. And still big websites and apps miss out on user-related errors that are not detected. Technology-wise, this was a huge challenge since we needed to
- Detect problems in web clients (browsers are open and generally diverse environments). All kinds of crazy problems occurred, getting listed as a virus being one of them. Really good experiences though.
- Make sure data got aggregated in a stable way.
- Enable high load time series data aggregation in a stable way.
Planning, building and maintaining an e-commerce system
Backend and frontend including CRM, invoicing and product catalog features for medtryck.com. My responsibilities included everything from planning, prioritizing, implementing and maintaining medtryck.com and its digital assets. Basically tailoring the backend to scale more easily and align their process with the system and not the other way around, while focusing on improving the end customer experience. Some of the key components of my work were:
- Advanced search using Elasticsearch. One quick search and one advanced mode where you can filter by color and price.
- Integration with third-party API’s such as Fortnox
- Implementation of a behavior-based e-mail campaign system
- Optimizing customer experience and the order process, increasing conversions by 67%
- Making sure this business-critical system achieved great speed, performance, and uptime
Quickfix.io - the inline CSS editor
A fun side project making it super easy to tweak your website UI and persist the changes without booting up a dev environment. It consists of a Chrome browser extension and solved me and Mathias’ issue with the ability to persist quick CSS fixes. Try it out if you're using Google Chrome.
The podcast for web developers and web designers, where I co-produced over 80 episodes averaging 45 min interviewing great entrepreneurs and people somehow connected to the web. It produced over 110 000+ downloads which are a big deal for such a niche podcast in Swedish. Subscribe or listen to it straight away.
User Interface design for Fortnox / Fortnox International
Did a complete remake of the UI for Fortnox. Designed and built interactive prototypes for web and mobile web. Fortnox user experience was left behind which made it easy to find and correct the "low hanging fruits".
- Website for Besikta.
- Marketing website for Betsafe.
- Online product catalog for furniture producer Stolab.
- Online product catalog for bike producer Skeppshult.
- Internal search and presence search for the Swedish employment service (Arbetsförmedlingen).
- 80+ podcast episodes interviewing startups and entrepreneurs.
- Codepond - social coding. A platform to store, refine, share and discuss code snippets. Similar to Github and Github Gist.
- Built, maintained and sold three major versions of a Content Management System as Saas applications.
- Series of interviews with successful entrepreneurs for InfoTech Umeå (example).
- Ran the first Swedish blog competition, with over 4000 participants - Årets Blogg 2006. Also the first (and so far only) time I really got to experience a growth curve looking like a hockey stick. This opened up for newspapers doing the same concept.
- Ran a popular and really active web community called Piraja.nu, consisting of programming tutorials, games and listed jokes (2001-2004). It had forums, chat and other at that time innovative stuff built in.
Way back I used to blog in Swedish as well.